Hello hello hello! Hello hello! I'm coming to you live and alive, and I have been fucking busy since I last posted. Like, "I haven't checked my reading page in a month" levels of busy. HI GUYS, I MISS YOU.
Let's see, what've I been doing?
Let's see, what've I been doing?
- Okay, most important thing: LEX AND I WENT TO CHECK OUT THE DINOSAURS OF CHINA EXHIBIT AND IT WAS REALLY FUCKING COOL. I posted lots of photos on twitter because I'm me, but I just need to yell about it some more.
- You know how places have signs from the car park telling you which way to go? All of the ones for this said "I think they went that way".
- There was a deer outside the building! Just, like, chilling on the lawn! And I was flipping out because why is there a deer there and Lex was laughing his head off because Wollaton Hall is like a deer park? A deer preserve? IT HAS DEER. And it's like yes, I know it has deer, but why are they roaming loose! Over here! That's not safe! Thus further proving that I am FAR TOO CITY FOLK to ever go near wild animals.
- Okay, the Dinosaurs of China exhibit has a whole bunch of skeletons and fossils brought over from Asia (I thought it was in partnership with some of the universities, but can I find any information on the website? Can I heck as like.), because a) apparently China is where the most advances in paleontology are being made, and b) that is where they found out about dinosaurs having feathers. And they have! Some of the fossils! That show dinosaurs with feathers!
- I don't know if the disabled route in has all of the stuff painted on the walls explaining the exhibit; I hope it does because I quite liked it. You follow the trail of footprints round, read all the stuff on the walls, go up the stairs, open a curtain, and...
- THERE IS A FUCKING TWENTY-THREE METRE LONG DINOSAUR SKELETON.
- THAT'S LIKE SEVENTY FIVE FOOT NINE.
- THEY'VE GOT IT STANDING UP SO IT'S THIRTEEN METRES TALL, OKAY, AND THAT IS A FUCKING HUGE DINOSAUR.
- AND I GOT TO TOUCH A FOSSIL. IT WAS A DINOSAUR THIGH BONE AND THERE WAS A SIGN SAYING WE COULD TOUCH IT SO OF COURSE I DID.
- Also in that room was like a protoceratops (which was a baby and an ancestor of the triceratops); there was a tiny armoured dinosaur that they found as part of a group of baby dinosaurs that had been buried in a sandstorm so they were pretty well preserved; one of the first dinosaurs ever found in China (apparently during WWII, which sounds like it must have been NERVEWRACKING. And! AND! There was a Sinraptor, which I think we can all agree is the best name for a dinosaur that looks like a t-rex, and I'm reading the sign going "Is this really big enough to take down the big one all on it's own?!" until it turned out that it was, uh, not actually fully grown yet.
- The next room was all of the stuffed birds that they usually keep in the hall, which was somewhere between cool and eerie because it's a room full of eyes. (They have ravens, [Bad username or unknown identity: squeemu!] I meant to get a picture for you, I'm sorry.) But they were all there as a "Here is a comparison between birds and dinosaurs," thing. There was! A tiny dinosaur skeleton! Like, the size of my hand tiny, and it apparently got buried in volcanic ash while it was sleeping, so it was found preserved in that position! That is cool! And there was an Oviraptor (I think it's called that anyway), because someone discovered it next to eggs and assumed that they were eating it, rather than that it was the dinosaurs own nest. Whoops.
- ... Also who cuts fossilised eggs in half. I mean, paleontologists, but srsly.
- THERE WAS A DINOSAUR THAT WAS BIGGER THAN I AM THAT HAD FEATHERS.
- Apparently someone tried to invent a new dinosaur by smooshing two fossils together, and it worked. It was right next to the (apparently legit) dino bird with FOUR WINGS, because sometimes real life is weirder than what we can make up.
- And I'm pretty sure that the original Fossil Of Dinosaur With Feathers was there. *_*
- GUYS THEY 3D PRINTED A FOSSIL BECAUSE THE ORIGINAL WAS TOO DELICATE TO TRANSPORT OUT OF THE COUNTRY AND IF YOU DON'T THINK THAT'S THE COOLEST THING THEN I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO TELL YOU.
- In conclusion, it was super great and if you can, I reckon it's worth your time!
- Then we went on a danger Ikea run (Q: Why is it a "danger" Ikea run? A: Have you ever been to Ikea?) because Mike's mum was coming over – I'll come back to that – and got a new shelving unit and a pouffe (which we haven't put together yet) and a table with a basket and wheels for me, which is SUPER USEFUL, 10/10, would pile all of my nonsense into again.
- SO MIKE'S MUM CAME OVER and I'm trying to be nice about her, because she's his mum and our landlady, but we got back and it was literally "Hi, how was your day, I don't know how you live like this." ... Lady, if you want us to keep the place cleaner you can ask, you're our landlady, but I don't know how you thought walking into our home and insulting our housekeeping is acceptable. Also she's going to have someone come round and tile our kitchen wall while he's round doing a different job (dude does not know he's going to be tiling our kitchen yet), and decided that she was going to clean our bathroom for us, by which I mean break the sink and steam-clean the sealant right off the shower. *AGGRAVATED SIGH* On the plus side, she painted the kitchen like she wanted, and has decided that Mike is going to finish painting the rest of the house for her, so...
- (She wanted us to put all of our stuff in the middle of our bedrooms so that she could paint our bedrooms and I just laughed for days because she grossly overestimated how much space Mike has in his bedroom and underestimated how much crap Lex and I have in ours. It's not happening.)
- I've taken all of the extra shifts going in September, which hasn't been as many as I'd hoped; we were supposed to start RFID tagging the entire library by now, but they've moved the start date back a month. Oh well, more time for transcripts and writing ladybusiness stuff. (I reviewed The Stars Are Legion, which was Fine But Not For Me.)
- I need to decide if I want to do sign language level two this year. On the one hand, professional development is great and I'd love to know more BSL, and this is the last chance I'm going to have to go with anyone from my old class. On the other hand, I don't have £500 to drop on this again; I didn't really have it last year but seriously won't be out of my overdraft until the 25th of October so I'm not sure I can do it. ... And the classes were good and fun but also I was an anxious wreck before and after them. And Jay can't go either, which means that I'd either be late to class most weeks, have to pay for a taxi, or ask work if I can knock off early so I can get there on time.
... I think what I'm saying is that I need to give myself permission to NOT go to sign language next year. /o\
- Apart from that... I got new stationery? I got these daily pages for my filofax and so far they are exactly what I wanted? I also got myself a fauxdori with red pandas on? I dunno, my brain just went fff! and shut down, I'm sorry. The takeaway point of this is: DINOSAURS, GUYS. DINOSAURS ARE COOL.