OKAY, cliffhangers away!
Links: Link to watch Yuri On Ice on Crunchyroll
Lost in translation post where someone highlighted mistakes in the subs.
My reaction thread on twitter.
Dreamwidth posts: First impression, episode one, episode two, episode three, episode ten, after which I had to loop back to start and shriek loudly about episodes one to three again. Episode four, episode five., episode six, episode seven, episode eight.
- His sister is so gutted about the dog.
- "If you're in trouble, just hug him and he'll help you." VICTOR NO, WHAT. I GET YOU'RE GRIEF-ADDLED, BUT WHAT
- "Even if I'm not here, I'll always be here in spirit." You're going to Japan, you're not dying. ... Unless you are dying. If that is the surprise twist of episode twelve, that Victor has mysterious terminal something and he drops dead after seeing Yuri win gold I will BURN IT DOWN.
- Reporter: It didn't look like you exchanged any words with Coach Yakov at this morning's public practice.
Yuri: I'm fine!
Me: YOU ARE NOT FINE.
- HIS GRANDPA CAME! AND HE WAS LISTENING WHEN YURIO TALKED AND TRIED TO MAKE HIM A KATSUDON PIROZHKI BECAUSE HE LOVES HIM AND WANTS TO SUPPORT HIM, AAAAA
- (I am now spelling pirozhki without a reference, I apologise profusely if I've got it wrong.)
- PS the lady who did the food in Hannibal made quick and dirty katsudon pirozhki if you don't have time for the four-hour-prep-time of the version on the Crunchy Roll site. Why yes, I HAVE sent these to Lex, because weird food combos are where he lives, why do you ask?
- (I hope he doesn't ask me to make bread dough, I end up stuck to bread dough. :\)
- "With Victor gone, I'm the only one who can win." I forgot who was talking what with looking for links, so I came back like "Fuck offfffffffffffff."
- Yuri on his own D:
- EMIL'S THEME IS AWESOME THOUGH, THAT IS THE GREATEST THEME! "Cyberpunk: I've ceased to be human." THAT IS AWESOME.
- If anyone is going to be more machine than man in the Shadowrun AU I am definitely not writing, it is being Emil, sorry Emil, you will make up for it by being nicer and sweeter than most of the others.
- Ugh, do we have to have the family drama NOW when I could be watching Emil being cool?
- "I'll make it to the Grand Prix Final with or without your help, Mickey. So you need to win without my support too." HARSH BUT EFFECTIVE.
- "I'm not every woman in the world! You need to get out more!"
"I don't need any other woman but you, Sala!"
THAT IS THE PROBLEM, THAT IS LITERALLY WHAT SHE'S SAYING, STOP THAT.
- Crush him, Sala. Crush him.
- EMIL, NO! D: You did the hardest bits, the easier bits took you down! D:
- Mila, can't you see there's a messy break-up in progress here?
- Uggggggh I was fine with this the first time round, but I am bored this time around, and I don't know if that's because it's arse o'clock in the morning or if it's because Mickey's drama is boring.
- "I can feel lost love in Michele's skating." *SIGHS AT EVERYONE*
- "Don't get me wrong, I'm just an idiot." TRUE THAT.
- This is a messy sibling break-up for something where no one is actively fighting.
- I like Seung Gil's new outfit a lot better.
- I like how Sala's like "I'm sorry I was mean but that was the best decision I've ever made! <3"
- YURIO YOU ARE GOING TO DIE
- I like how he specifically highlights JJ and Yuri as the people he needs to beat.
- YURI IS STILL ON HIS OWN
- Holy shit, Seung Gil had an emotion. I don't think we should intrude on that.
- I can't tell how I feel about this outfit and that hair, because any negative opinion I have might just be "change is bad!"
- "Beauty is a crushing force of righteousness!"
- "A hellish step sequence without even time for breath! How is he so calm?" If his Agape routine is anything to go by, Yurio is in swan mode. Look placid on the surface, be frantic underneath, and fuck up anyone who approaches.
- Yakov is aware of his flaws! He can pick out the exact point in this routine where Yurio is going to tire.
- Yurio! You don't need to compare yourself to them!
- Yurio screaming "THAT SHITHEAD!" about FUCKING JJ gives me life.
- HE LANDED ALL HIS JUMPS, I AM SO PROUD OF HIM! AAAAAAH!
- Holy crap Yurio you nearly died. YOU NEARLY DIED but you are DEFINITELY GOING TO THE FINAL AAAAAAAAAAAAA
- Yurio SPECIFICALLY YELLING FOR YURI'S REACTION TO HIS FREE SKATE omg
- (I just want Yuri and Victor to be Yurio's adopted uncles and he hates them so much but also grandpa made pirozhkis and they're going to eat them.)
- No, no, his vision's wobbling like it does when he's panicking, it's okay Yuri! You've got this!
- "I don't want them to think that everything Victor's taught me has been a waste. I have to prove that by winning. If I fail here, it's over." DON'T THINK ABOUT THAT YOU WON'T MAKE YOUR JUMPS IF YOU THINK ABOUT THAT.
- HE'S MAKING STUPID MISTAKES AND TELLING HIMSELF TO CALM DOWN IS NOT GOING TO IMPROVE MATTERS.
- "How did he know how I felt?" *points at next episode*
- "Until Victor came into my life, I could never openly say that I'd win gold, but I never skated with the thought in my mind that I'd lose anyway." Haaaaa, who identifies with, surely not anyone writing THIS post. *sips tea*
- YURIO IS SO ANGRY AT ALL OF THE STUPID LITTLE WAYS YURI'S SHEDDING POINTS. COME ON YURI.
- "I was able to come this far because Victor believed in me." *flails*
- HE'S TRYING TO BE SUPPORTIVE AND FUCKING JJ IS BEING A SHITHEAD I HOPE ALL OF YOUR MEDALS GET MELTED DOWN FOR SCRAP YOU PIECE OF SHIT DOUCHEBRO FUCKBOY
- Yuri is consistently impressed at people aiming beyond their abilities, especially Yurio! And this means a lot to me and explains a lot about him, I think.
- "Whether Victor was with me or not, it would still feel just as tough." *clutches Yuri*
- "I'm not finished yet! I'll be done when I get the gold with Victor." HE BELIEVE IN HIMSELF A LITTLE, COME ON, YURI, YOU CAN DO IT.
- "You can feel Katsuki Yuri's love, a love he can only express on the ice, in this step sequence." ;_;
- You can HEAR the audience groan when he touches down badly.
- "When you think of how it could have been with Victor here... You really want to see that, right?" See, Mila gets it.
- Yuri collapsed! No! Are you okay! DON'T DO THAT AGAIN!
- Okay, I feel like the Mickey/Sala split and the Victor/Yuri split are in the same episode for the compare and contrast, and I'm not sure I have enough brain to analyse that meaningfully. What my brain is giving me is that Mickey has effectively handcuffed Sala to him, and they are both so much better when the cuffs are thrown away and they're free to grow apart? He thinks he needs her, and he won't let himself find out who he can be and what he can do without her. But Yuri is better for Victor being there, not just as a skater but as a person as well? And he can do this without Victor, he does it without Victor right there, but he doesn't want to and it would still be just as difficult for him, he'd just... Have Victor there as support, as someone who believes in him when he doesn't believe in himself. I DON'T KNOW, is what I'm saying, compare and contrast is not my best skill, all I get is "Mickey and Sala don't need each other in the way that Victor and Yuri seem to" and I need someone smart to talk about it in the comments with me.
- Yakov is scolding him at the kiss and cry! And comparing his bad habits to Victor's (Apparently Victor ALSO never practised what to do if he messed up a jump.)
- HE MADE THIRD, HE MADE THIRD, THIRD IS GOOD!
- You can see the exact moment third shorts out his brain.
- HE HUGGED YAKOV!
- "Victor will go back to Russia soon." *frantic* NO, YURI, STOP IT. STOP SAYING GOODBYE TO VICTOR BEFORE HE'S EVEN SAID HE'S PLANNING TO LEAVE.
- FUCKING JJ, I HOPE YOU HIT A WALL.
- FOR A KING YOU SURE GOT SQUASHED BY VICTOR REPEATEDLY.
- "I bet he ran because he was afraid of me" HE DOESN'T EVEN KNOW WHO YOU ARE. AND HE DOESN'T CARE EITHER.
- Someone punch this guy in the face. He's disgustingly obnoxious.
- OKAY, the moment when they do all of the maths and work out who places where and who gets into the competition is REALLY TENSE but AHHH YURI'S IN, HE MADE IT! By the skin of his teeth but he made it!
- YURI HUGGING EVERYONE WITH THE COLD DEAD EYES OF A MAN WHO DOESN'T UNDERSTAND WHAT IS GOING WRONG IN HIS LIFE BUT HE HAS ACHIEVED HIS GOAL AND NEEDS A HUG.
Mickey: freaks the fuck out like he's been dropped into a vat of sharks!
Emil: Very chill about it, wants to know if there's a hugging competition! I hope this is the case and Emil wins it, because he looks like he gives great hugs.
Seung Gil: Has a visible emotion for the second time and that emotion is "Urk!"
Yurio: FLEES AS FAST AS HE CAN FUCKING FLEE.
- YURI IS A HUG ZOMBIE AND EVERYONE IS CONFUSED.
- It's not your last chance! You're only twenty-three! You can keep going!
- "I'll have Victor step down as coach" he won't go. He will fight you and he won't go and if he does go then you're both idiots.
- SUDDENLY: YURIO!
- He actually went and TRACKED YURI DOWN, bless him!
- He's so offended that he was skating at his best and Yuri wasn't, and that FUCKING JJ STILL BEAT HIM. JJ HAD NO RIGHT TO BEAT HIM.
- He is so grouchy about giving Yuri a birthday present, but he's so pleased that Yuri likes it! He's so proud of his grandpa!
- (I do like the way that Yuri On Ice sacks off the end credits when they need the space, that pleases me.)
- (I've been writing this next to sithe while he plays video games, and he's just glanced over and asked "Is this for your zine thing, or are you so eager to write fanfic that you can't wait till the episode's finished?" HE KNOWS ME TOO WELL.)
- Okay, this is Yuri coming back to Japan, not Victor coming back to Russia. Everything makes sense, I am following what's happening.
- Maccachin! You're okay! <3 YOU DAMN WELL BETTER BE AFTER ALL THE TROUBLE YOU CAUSED!
- God, they both look wrecked and they don't take their eyes off each other, and just! Yuri FINALLY GETTING THE HUG HE NEEDED. FINALLY. *wails*
- I was really alarmed when he pushed Victor away but then! "Please be my coach until I retire!"
- Victor kisses Yuri's ring finger and says that was almost like a marriage proposal and according to tumblr, that is pretty much how Japanese people propose? (TAKE THAT AS YOU WILL, I DON'T KNOW HOW ACCURATE IT IS) but Yuri smiles and hugs him instead of wigging out and I just! I can't deal with this and the show putting significant emotional moments where the end credits usually go, this show loves me.
- Victor: "I wish you'd never retire."
Yuri: Let's win gold together at the Grand Prix Final. *starts crying*
Me: *also starts crying*
- Victor: What are you going to give me for Christmas?
Yuri: Something round and golden.
Fandom: So a medal then?
Creators: *SIP TEA INTENTLY*