Episode eight, otherwise known as "Well fuck, that's my kink". *kicks back*
ETA: Lynnoconnacht is a star and found the post on Yuri possibly being demisexual for me again! It was the one with the point about Seung Gil! \o/
Links: Link to watch Yuri On Ice on Crunchyroll
Lost in translation post where someone highlighted mistakes in the subs.
My reaction thread on twitter.
Dreamwidth posts: First impression, episode one, episode two, episode three, episode ten, after which I had to loop back to start and shriek loudly about episodes one to three again. Episode four, episode five, episode six, episode seven.
- Me every time: I will not need to yell very much about this episode, it's only 23 minutes long, it will be FINE!
Also me every time: *spends like an hour and a half crying over fictional characters*
- Yurio has FANS! And they're kinda... Loud.
- How many nicknames does Yurio have? He's the Russian Punk, and the Ice Tiger and I'm sure there's something else? (I've not seen anyone else call him the ice tiger, okay, is that actually a thing.)
- LOOK AT THAT, THAT IS THE SINGLE MOST UNCOMPLICATED LOOK OF HAPPINESS I HAVE EVER SEEN ON YURIO'S FACE! HE IS SO HAPPY TO SEE HIS GRANDDAD!
- ... Oh honey no. :(
- GRANDPA NO, HE WAS TRYING TO TELL YOU ABOUT A NICE THING HE FOUND THAT HE THOUGHT YOU MIGHT LIKE, HE'S NOT TRYING TO BE A LITTLE SHIT FOR ONCE!
- "Until the Grand Prix is over, I won't comment on any future plans. Right now, I see a lot of potential in Katsuki Yuri's skating. I'd like you all to focus on Yuri at the Rostelecom Cup." I am impressed at how well Victor is deflecting and redirecting the press here! (He's not saying he's going to return to skating, which is what I noticed the first time – but also he's not saying that he's going to stay with Yuri, and I don't know if that's because he's hedging his bets on Yuri or what.) BUT ALSO he is putting the press' attention back where it should be! On the guy who's skating! Which is different to episode five, I think? Where he was revelling in the press.
- This looks like a completely different disguise, btw, and I like it. (He only wears sunglasses in Russia, and I assume that's because Russia is where he's most likely to be recognised? Because god knows he's not been anywhere bright enough to justify it.)
- (For fuck's sake Victor put your collar bones away I am a person and I do not deserve to be distracted like this.)
- Yurio, hearing Victor being directing attention to Yuri: I'm in it too! D:<
- "If the skater Yuri has that much charisma, don't you want to face him as a fellow competitor?"
1)He did. Last year. It didn't go well for Yuri. 2) Victor: *looks speculative* *REDIRECTS LIKE A FUCKING PRO*
- Does that happen. Does he end up skating against Yuri. My heart can't take that, I'm not ready.
- Victor dragging Yurio into his press conference is kinda great, because I actually enjoy Yurio in full Russian Punk mode!
- "Quit acting like you're still the top Russian figure skater. I'm the star in this event!" Knowing WHY Victor keeps baiting him like this (see also: episode ten) makes this entire thing so much better and explains why Victor looks so proud that Yurio is kicking off!
- ... My brain has helpfully just put 2 (Yurio pouting that Victor hasn't mentioned him) and 2 (Victor dragging Yurio into this) together and sure got a number!
- Yuri not having any friends in the Russian cup makes me a little sad for him. I'M SURE PEOPLE WILL ROOT FOR YOU, YURI! I'M SURE!
- Oh god, that fucking train wreck of an elevator. And then Yuri just... Sneaking away. Yep.
- THE THING IS I think Yuri means it when he says that it's good to see Yurio again!
- (For future fic writing purposes: one of them is on floor eight and one is on floor nine, and I don't feel like that is enough separation to keep people safe from Yurio's wrath. ... Is his grandpa staying here too? Or did he just come to pick Yurio up and drive him to the hotel?)
- "You'll suffer a miserable defeat in the Rosetelom Cup. I'm going to have Victor stay in Russia." YURIO IF YOU KEEP THIS UP PEOPLE ARE GOING TO START THINKING THAT YOU MISS VICTOR. OR MAYBE HAVE ISSUES WITH PEOPLE GIVING UP AND/OR LEAVING YOU BEHIND. I'M JUST SAYING.
- He needs to rank higher than fourth. You can do that, right Yuri? ... Right?
- "And if I don't, what will Victor do?" I want to be like "NO, WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS TO ME, WHERE IS THIS THREAD COMING FROM but this thread has been here all along, it's just that this is the one that MATTERS for Yuri getting into the next round.
- Hey, look! It's Otabek! I'm sure he won't be important!
- UGH, FUCKING JJ. D:<
- (Twitter informs me that JJ is inspired by this douche and don't even talk to me about how mad I am that I find him attractive. THAT LEVEL OF SMIRKY VISUAL DOUCHEBAGGERY AND SKILL IS MY JAM AND I HATE IT. I'm sure they're both lovely people, but also ugggggggggggggh.)
- I get the necessity of these stretches but they are super undignified. Especially when Seung Gil Lee gives people intimidating glares like he doesn't have his arse in the air.
- PHICHIT NO I AM SO WORRIED FOR HIM, PLEASE HONEY I HOPE YOU GET THROUGH, DON'T PANIC!
- Did you not fancy Russia, Minako? But yeah, livestreams are dicey and it's nice to see that acknowledged. (Does that means that Yuri's family isn't watching? They don't seem particular tech savvy.)
- XD I wonder who won THAT particular fight, Yuko or the Triplets.
- Seung Gil gives not a single fuck, does he? He dances like it's maths. Everything is has its points value and he's working out his score in his head as he goes. ... I guess that's impressive in its own way! And explains why he has literally no emotion in his skating! (Seriously, watch his face.) I can't find the post I want right now (I think it was the "Yuri is demisexual" post that lynnoconnacht linked to but I could be wrong, that's like the ONLY meta post I've read in this fandom that I can't find.), but there was one talking about the different types of sensuality on display here, and they made the point that Seung Gil doesn't find any pleasure or meaning in it for himself? He is doing it as a thing for other people to project onto him, because it will improve his score, in contrast to say, fucking Chris who a) lives for that, and b) makes sensuality and sexuality a major part of his routines? IDK.
- "Greed" doesn't seem very him? I dunno.
- I like the idea of doing a mambo on ice, even if his performance is sorta "who needs emotions when we have maths."
- Emil is so adorable. I kinda just want to squish him. And have him be best friends with Sala so that Mickey keeps making those faces.
- "That's a hard act to follow!"
"Yeah right, I've never seen you nervous."
EMIL JUST WANTS TO BE FRIENDS WITH THEM ALL AND MICKEY IS HAVING NONE OF IT.
- Prediction: someone in the fandom is writing that threesome and it is exactly as weird as it sounds.
- Emil looks like he's having fun even before he starts!
- The amount of shade being thrown around there is kinda great. Seung Gil doesn't care about the crowd's reaction! Mickey doesn't think Emil can skate! JJ is FUCKING JJ and Victor's face is a picture.
- Like, how much of a dickhead do you have to be that FUCKING VICTOR, who is at least civil to everyone, can't be polite to you?! Because Victor is straight-up dead-eying this prick until he goes away.
- Aw, we don't get to see Emil's routine! Boooooo!
- (Seriiously, respect to the show for going "Eh, there's only four episodes till the end of the series, let's introduce half a dozen new characters, their respective friendships and rivalries, and tiny little plotlines for some of them that tie into Yuri and Victor's! THAT IS A SUPER GOOD PLAN." They pull it off! That takes skill!)
- Emil is so encouraging and I can't tell if he's being a little shit or not!
- OKAY, GUYS, TALK TO ME HERE: he is weirdly pre-occupied with his sister, right? Like, if this was his girlfriend or his childhood best friend that he wanted to be his girlfriend, that would be less weird, right? But as it is...
- (SERIOUSLY TOO MANY DUDES CREEPING ON LADIES HERE.)
- "Only my love, the kind that doesn't rely on physical love, can protect Sala as a lady!" LOOK I AM JUST REALLY GLAD THEY CLARIFIED HE IS NOT BONING HIS SISTER. THIS IS NOT THE SORT OF CLARIFICATION THAT YOU SHOULD NEED, BUT JESUS CHRIST.
- (Also, stop with the fighting off dudes your sister wants to talk to, she has literal knives on her feet and can cut anyone she doesn't want to talk to.)
- Like, I get wanting to skate with your sibling! And not wanting your life to change! BUT ALSO that is a bit too codependent, which I guess is here as the compare/contrast for Yuri and Victor.
- Not sure if tribute or stealing her shtick, especially considering his monologue is like "Don't worry! I'm sure you'll be able to skate [YOUR SIGNIATURE FUCKING MOVE] like I just did!"
- I like his costume, but I hate the dude.
- "Mickey has to reach a place where he can win without my being around." NOTE THIS THEME IN YOUR COPY BOOKS, IT MAY COME UP LATER.
- I like the self-defence in Sala noping out of this relationship, I'm so glad she's aware and not having it.
- Q: Susan, how much fic have you seen that's been like "Victor sure spends a lot of time on his knees fiddling with Yuri's skates! Let's roll with that!"
A: *sips tea*
- (I am going to actually start drinking tea at this rate, I think it's the only drink we have in the house that isn't plain water.)
- Noooo, Grandpa where are you! D: *is worried*
- NOTE THIS DOG, BECAUSE I NOTED THAT DOG AND WAS LIKE "THE DOG IS GOING TO EAT EVERYTHING, ISN'T IT" AND HA. HAHAHA.
- Victor is so happy to have the crowd chanting his name, waving at them and the camera – even though this is Yuri's moment, he is supposed to be the focus here. Not just of the crowd, but of Victor. GET YOUR SHIT TOGETHER.
- Yuri: *GRABS VICTOR'S TIE*
Me: *INTERNALLY SCREAMING*
- "The performance has already begun, Victor."
- OMG it has and Victor took his eyes off him, aaaaaaa
- Literally someone giffed the tie-grab on twitter and I went "Fuck, tie-grabbing and fingerless gloves and also suits, I am into this. ... FUCK." and that is literally how we got here. I AM EASILY SOLD, GUYS, SHOW ME KISSING AND SUITS AND I WILL FOLLOW YOU ANYWHERE.
- "I will show my love to all of Russia"
- WHAT YOU DON'T GET FROM THE CLIPS ON TWITTER: Yuri does that, and then as he's skating away he's just like "aaaaugh that was embarrassing, I can't believe I did that."
- I'm now saying that I once grabbed thebaconfat and informed her that I need the porn where Yuri does tries to be smooth like he is here and Victor is into it and Yuri kinda is but also dies of embarrassment, but also Baco may have told me to write this so HELP.
- "But before the crowd can intimidate me in enemy territory, I have to intimidate them!" OMG YURI.
(Someone on twitter pointed out that if you look at episode two Yuri and episode eight Yuri, that is SOME CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT right there. Episode two Yuri is like "I am going to lose Victor to Yurio! D:" Episode eight Yuri? I AM GOING TO FIGHT ALL OF FUCKING RUSSIA.)
- Yuri: *blows a kiss to the judge*
Judges: *cannot deal*
Me: *cannot deal either*
- "If I don't place higher than fourth at the Rostelom Cup, this may be the last time I can skate this routine with Victor at my side as my coach." D: D: D: D: D: NO, YURI, STOP. I KNOW WHY YOU'RE THINKING THIS NOW BUT STOP IT.
- "Maybe no one in Russia, or even the entire world, wants me to win." YURI YOU KNOW VICTOR WANTS YOU TO WIN AND EVERYONE AT HOME WANTS YOU TO WIN AND PHICHIT WANTS YOU TO WIN THIS BIT SO YOU CAN SKATE TOGETHER IN BARCELONA, STOP IT, STOP IT NOW.
- Like, kudos to him for doing his routine so well while on an anxiety spiral.
- "I'm the only one who can change that world!" OKAY I WILL ALLOW THIS TRAIN OF THOUGHT TO CONTINUE.
- "I guess Yuri is more motivated when he's competing away, where expectations are lower." REF ARE YOU BLIND
ARE YOU REALLY THAT OBLIVIOUS
CAN YOU NOT JSUTBPIABGA
- Literally Yuri is going "I will fight the entire world" and Victor's there's going "He is so relaxed and there is no pressure!" WHAT IS EVEN YOUR LIFE, VICTOR.
- Yurio being flanked by Yakov and Lilia is very visually pleasing.
- HE LANDED THE SALCHOW AGAIN, HE DID IT HE DID IT!
- "The crowd's giving him a standing ovation!" says the voice over, over a shot of people sitting firmly in their seats.
- Yurio being impressed at Yuri having refined his program! And grouchy that he can't refine his! (... Ah, but, the character in episode ten might help, right? Maybe?)
- Yurio, honey, wanting your Grandpa to watch just so you can refine your program using him, you are not doing a good job of agape.
- He looks like butter wouldn't melt in his mouth, but he's a fucking punk, I love him.
- YURI AND VICTOR ARE SO PROUD OF HIM AND I AM SO HAPPY AAAAAAH
- There are so many cat ears going on here.
- He's losing it, he's losing it, Yurio, no!
- VICTOR KISSES YURI'S SKATES AND YURI DOESN'T FREAK OUT *CHOKES*
- Yurio's rage mode: priming.
- Yuri and Victor: GOOD LUCK!
Yurio's rage mode: ACTIVATED.
- I WANT thebaconfat TO WRITE UP THE REALLY SMART THING SHE SAID ABOUT YURIO BEING MOTIVATED BY SPITE SO THAT I CAN LINK TO IT AND TALK ABOUT HOW SMART SHE IS.
- "The usurper skater" god he has so many nicknames.
- He is FIFTEEN and keeping up with the adults, I love this kid.
- "Dammit, I'm not so down on my luck that I need you guys cheering me on."
ALL I'M GETTING IS FLASHBACKS TO SEIFER GOING "SAVE THOSE WORDS FOR A BAD STUDENT WHO NEEDS THEM" AND THIS EXPLAINS E V E R Y T H I N G
- NO HE FELL! Are you okay? D: D: D:
- He's been trying so hard! You can make it up Yurio! It's okay! And you hit the Salchow, it's fine!
- (I hate his costume, I hate it so much, I hope they never show us Victor in it or I will be so cross.)
- Okay, the analysis is helpful to Yurio whereas it's usually paralysing for Yuri. Good to know.
- I like how he KNOWS this routine is possibly too much of a challenge for him still, but he's not dialled it down even one bit.
- WHOEVER THREW THOSE CAT EARS HAS A FUCKING GOOD ARM! How did she!
- FUCK YOU FUCKING JJ, I HOPE YOU GET NO HIGHER THAN BRONZE FOR THE REST OF YOUR FUCKING LIFE.
- You are Yurio's nemesis and he HATES you and I hope he crushes you.
- Yurio is so angry about the cat ears, and yet he doesn't take them off. Also he continues to sit like an asshole.
- Yuri's in first still! Yay!
- I HATE JJ SO MUCH AND HE IS TALENTED AND PROBABLY A NICE PERSON, I JUST WANT HIM TO BE CRUSHED BENEATH THE HEELS OF THE ASSHOLES I LIKE. He has a tramp stamp of his own initials! COME ON!
- This music is really catchy and I'm so annoyed.
- FALL ON YOUR FACE YOU ARROGANT LITTLE SHIT
- Q: Susan, why are you so angry at JJ?
A: I DON'T KNOW.
- Ugh, fuck you you talented arrogant asshole, why do you have a catchphrase, why are you kissing the ice/your own reflection.
- DID YOU REMEMBER TO NOTE THE DOG AND THOSE BUNS.
- OH YEAH, IT CAME UP.
- EPISODE FOUR OR FIVE, I WAS LIKE "OH IT'S FINE, THEY'RE LEAVING THE DOG BEHIND, NOTHING TRAGIC CAN HAPPEN TO THE DOG!"
- I WAS WRONG.
- Oh god, is Yuri cursed, does him doing the Grand Prix kill a puppy, what the fuck.
- THIS IS WHAT HAPPENED LAST YEAR THIS IS THE WORST.
- Maybe give Victor some CONTEXT for why you're sending him away, Jesus Christ. Without that, it just looks like you're firing him.
- And Sala watching in the background, possibly getting ideas for how to deal with her brother!
- "Don't eat too many pirozhkis tomorrow" he's seeing his grandpa! Grandpa is going to feed him!
- Victor is trying to stay with Yuri even though his dog is at the vet's and Yuri is telling him to go!
- Victor: Yakov! Thank god! You're the only coach for me!
Literally everyone else: ??????
Victor: Can you be Yuri's coach tomorrow, for just one day?
Literally everyone else: ?!?!?!?!?!?!
- Aw no, the Maccachin title card D:
- YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND HOW MANY PEOPLE I GOT INTO THIS SHOW AND THEN WENT "WAIT, LET ME SPOIL YOU FOR THE DOG WITH NO CONTEXT." I may not understand why people are more invested in the dog than the humans in any given thing, but by god I will go along with it if it helps.
ETA: Lynnoconnacht is a star and found the post on Yuri possibly being demisexual for me again! It was the one with the point about Seung Gil! \o/