- For those wondering, yes I did sleep between starting and finishing writing up the last episode, IT WAS FINE.
- I haven't been on twitter since 20:00 on Wednesday (Q: So... When the finale of Yuri On Ice went live? A: DON'T JUDGE ME), this post being written on Thursday. I assume something terrible has happened, everything is on fire, and I will literally be the last one to know because fresh horrors and the fresh horrors device.
- Finding Yuri On Ice icons is surprisingly difficult, which I guess is hampered by my not wanting to delve too deeply into the communities for fear of spoilers, and not being on tumblr any more. I have a few! None with ACTUAL YURI IN, hit me up if you see any?
- I took a short break to queue the previous posts for today and tomorrow (God bless you Semagic and all who sail on you, someone remind me to go back in and add reaction shot links as they go live), and now I am READY! For THIS FUCKING EPISODE which is the one that finally put Yuri On Ice on my radar, because the ENTIRE FUCKING INTERNET exploded about That One Scene. Let's do this!
Links: Link to watch Yuri On Ice on Crunchyroll
Lost in translation post where someone highlighted mistakes in the subs.
My reaction thread on twitter.
Dreamwidth posts: First impression, episode one, episode two, episode three, episode ten, after which I had to loop back to start and shriek loudly about episodes one to three again. Episode four, episode five, episode six.
- I haven't gone looking to see if there's an Our Lady of Retranslation post for this, so I'm winging it and will maybe just link to the next one when she posts it.
- Everyone's messages are really supportive and happy and his face is just OH GOD NO, NOPE, NO.
- "Yuri, you didn't sleep at all, did you?"
"I-I-I did! A little bit, anyway."
Lying Cat looks up from a different canon. We know what it's gonna say.
- ... Okay, enforcing naps is fine, I am impressed that he managed to prise Yuri out of his CLOTHES.
- "I always slept in until the last minute before competitions, too." Victor, is that because of nerves or confidence, because I am picturing you being a beautiful oblivious ditz again, ngl.
- Victor: *cuddles in like a straight jacket to enforce naps*
THIS IS A FANDOM WHERE I AM GOING TO WRITE A LOT OF FIC ABOUT NAPS, I CAN FEEL IT IN MY BONES.
- And people not on my fic filters are like "Is that a thing that you do?"
ALL OF THE TIME.
INSTEAD OF SLEEPING.
- Oh god, the image of Victor forgetting to set an alarm before this nap is going to HAUNT MY NIGHTMARES and also probably doesn't contribute to Yuri's ability to get some goddamn sleep.
- Holy shit, he is out like a light. And Yuri almost looks like he's about to relax.
- Yuri: *is completely incapable of opening water*
Victor: *OMINOUS SMILE*
- "That's an order from your coach, Yuri," Victor says, like that has ever worked in the entire history of their relationship. Or in his relationship with Yakov, actually.
- I like how it's all of Yuri's family and friends watching up front, and everyone else casually interested in the back. Go on you guys, you know what you're doing. ... I assume, because seriously, no one is working at the hot springs today, all of the staff are right there.
- "If he flubs a jump in the free skate, he may lose even more confidence and it'd negatively impact his free skate." Bless Victor, he's trying. He's not succeeding, because Yuri is never going to listen to him and he should have learned that by now, but he's trying!
- "Yuri gets nervous easily –" *Yuri falls on his arse*
- Everyone watching at home: We've seen that face often...
- I like how the ONLY PERSON who is surprised by Yuri freaking out is Victor.
- He is trying to hard to be reassuring and it's not working. ._. I don't think Victor quite gets what's going on here, does he?
- "Become China's hero!" NO PRESSURE! But also, it perks him up? (Holy shit, precious angel baby's theme is "bonds and violence" wtffffffff)
- Guang-Hong is just like "I don't understand this theme and I don't know why I'm skating this story." But he, like Yuri and Georgi, goes hard into the roleplaying aspect of it, I guess?
- Yuri: *watches Guang-Hong doing great* *is totally not freaking out but also turns off every single screen showing Guang-Hong's routine and goes to hide in a corner*
- Noooo, he fell! He was trying so hard! Don't give up!
- ... I want to watch this film, actually.
- ... IS THE ENEMY BOSS PLAYED BY GEORGI IN YOUR IMAGINATION?!
- ... FOUR HOURS LATER: OMG is the ally played by Leo? YES, I LOVE THIS.
- I like how everyone but Yuri is like "I might not have made it THIS TIME, but there are other competitions! I will make it in those!" when they fail. Even if I don't believe Guang-Hong ONE BIT about quitting social media. Nope.
- Minako has a crush!
- ... Chris, is your outfit see-through up the sides?
- Yuri, honey, are you okay? D:
- I like how it specifically shows Chris working out where to go from by the adverts, that's nice!
- WHO LET THAT CAMERA CREW FILM YURI WHEN HE'S FREAKING OUT, THAT'S UNKIND. THANK YOU VICTOR FOR STEPPING UP AND GETTING HIM OUT OF THERE.
- Victor is so worried and just... Doesn't have a plan. Like, I think Yuri mentions this later, but seriously – this isn't new? Yuri has been like this forever, was in fact like this during the Nationals, but Victor didn't seem to pick up on it so he doesn't seem to have a plan for how to deal with it. And I get that's probably because he's never HAD to deal with someone who is freaking out and anxious (if there's one thing you can say for the Russian skaters, it's that they SWEAT confidence; even if they weren't, there's probably always been someone else to handle it), but it's still – he possibly should have thought of that beforehand. At least he's trying! I will give him full marks for sticking with it and putting the effort in!
- "I thought Victor was the same as me, living for life on the ice. It's not like you to leave the ice and find someone you want to protect, Victor." ... I like this assessment of what Victor's doing, and I like the way that they've cut it together. I hadn't thought of it like that, but yes.
- EVERYONE HAS HAD A CRUSH ON VICTOR. LITERALLY EVERYONE.
- (I'm pretty sure that I saw a fandom theory that Victor and Chris have platonically banged in the past and I might be okay with this theory. *squints* I'm not usually into things pre-dating my OTP, but for this one I'll allow it.)
- "Yuri can't surpass you. I'll win this season. And I'll bring Victor back to the ice!" MOTHERFUCKER JUST YOU FUCKING WAIT!
- "I think I'm gonna come again!" STOP THAT, FUCKING STOP THAT CHRIS, WHAT IS WITH YOU.
- Victor is so flustered, bless him. (Also, Yuri, stop tormenting yourself, knowing how everyone else is doing isn't going to help.)
- Seriously, just watching Yuri stress out this episode makes me twitch, is this what it's like to hang out with me?
- PHICHIT! YOU CAN DO IT ... Holy shit, did they make a sequel? Why did they make a sequel?
- I love how Phichit's routines are tributes to his favourite fandom (okay and the fandom that got him into skating, but SKATING AS FANWORK IS LEGIT, LET ME SHOW YOU THE VIDEOS OF PEOPLE DOING YURI ON ICE ROUTINES IRL BECAUSE THOSE EXIST.)
- "Unlike Yuri, he has tremendous innate flair." I want to yell because that's harsh, but it's... Kinda true?
- PHICHIT, I BELIEVE IN YOU AND YOUR ASSESSMENT OF YOUR RIVALS! Plus it's nice to see Yuri taken seriously AS A RIVAL? Rather than someone who is either going to be easy to beat (Chris) or not really a competitor? (Yurio, Yakov).
- He believes in himself! He is determined! He is such a happy ray of sunshine and confidence, it's so great to see. You go, Phichit!
- Wow, you can hear the roaring through the floor, and they're a fair ways down!
- And Victor just takes one look at Yuri's face and wigs out. Just covers his ears and yells at him to not listen.
- I love Phichit, I love him so much. WHY CAN'T EVERYONE WIN, GUYS, WHY NOT.
- Leo and his coach are so cute! They are so encouraging and I love them.
- "I could understand how you might be affected by other skates' standings if you were younger. But why is Yuri so nervous?" In light of episode ten, I can kinda understand this question a little more? But the answer is still probably "Anxiety." Also it occurs to me that this is something that it would literally never occur to Victor to worry about? I mean, he has been LITERAL BEST for minimum five years, I'm not sure he can remember being this uncertain in himself.
- "How can I motivate Yuri? I have no idea." HONEY YOU DIDN'T THINK THIS THROUGH AT ALL AND I STILL LOVE YOU.
- "Skater's hearts are as fragile as glass." DON'T DO IT, DON'T YOU FUCKING DARE, I REMEMBER HOW THIS GOES, DON'T YOU BREAK YURI'S HEART.
- "if their hearts are so fragile... Let's try shattering his into pieces." *SCREAMS* *SHAKES LAPTOP*
- "If you mess up this free skate and the podium, I'll take responsibility by resigning as your coach." NO. VICTOR. WHY. WHY WOULD YOU EVER THINK THAT WAS A GOOD THING TO SAY, THAT'S AWFUL!
- Yuri: *stares*
Victor: *is intensely uncomfortable with this degree of staring*
Yuri: *tears slowly well up*
WHAT DID YOU THINK WAS GOING TO HAPPEN, VICTOR, WHAT DID YOU EXPECT?!
- "Why would you say something like that, like you're trying to test me?" *flappy hands of oh god someone please hug Yuri oh god, oh god* HE CAN SEE THROUGH WHAT VICTOR IS DOING AND THAT DOESN'T MAKE IT BETTER.
- "It shattered!" WHAT DID YOU THINK WAS GOING TO HAPPEN?! OH MY GOD YOU ARE HIS IDOL AND YOU KNOW IT AND YOU JUST TOLD HIM THAT IF HE COULDN'T PLACE HE WASN'T WORTH YOUR TIME.
- Like, I can't – is it supposed to be that Victor is freeing him up to get a better coach? Because I have watched this scene minimum five times and this is the first time it's ever occurred to me that that's not a threat.
- "I'm used to being blamed for my own failures! But this time I'm anxious because my mistakes would reflect on you, too!" THIS IS THE POINT WHERE THE FIRST TIME I WATCHED IT I WAS FOR REALS CRYING INTO MY CROCHETING, OKAY. (Q: Susan, are you crying now? A: Yes, of course.) I have had variations of this conversation with renay, and the blaming yourself for your failures whether anyone is to blame or not just – this scene gets me where I live, okay, it's like seeing my feelings put in visual form for everyone to see and I can't.
CAN YOU IMAGINE THE PRESSURE, THOUGH. Victor is the best skater, everyone wants him back – and if Yuri fucks up at all, it's going not just going to affect him. That is so much, of course he's freaking out, of course. And I don't think it ever occurred to Victor that Yuri would worry about that!
- "I've been wondering if you secretly want to quit!"
"Of course I don't."
I AM CRYING TOO HARD TO TALK ABOUT THIS.
- Okay, I have cried a bit, let's do this. Yuri knows that Victor doesn't want to quit! He knows! But he can't stop wondering and I can't, okay, as someone who spends a lot of time with their brain going "Yeah, but Nay is ABSOLUTELY going to fire you," or "Yeah, but Lex is going to come to his sense one day," I UNDERSTAND THIS. I UNDERSTAND IT. It doesn't matter how much you know what is true and real, it doesn't matter how much reassurance you have, there is also that little voice that says it. And Victor just... Spoke it out loud. Like it was a thing that was reasonable. And even though he can see through it, it's just –
- Nope, crying again, can't do it, intensely overidentifying with Yuri having an anxiety attack, be back soon.
- Ha, this series, shaking my firmly-held belief that I'm just melodramatic and need to get over myself. It's cool, I got this.
- "Just have more faith than I do that I'll win! You don't have to say anything! Just stand by me!"
- I love them both and I want to hug them and I want them to be okay! BLESS VICTOR'S DITZY HEART AND YURI'S GENERAL EXISTANCE.
- I don't remember seeing Leo's routine, did he fall? That score seems low considering how much everyone likes him.
- "Your prayer reached the world." ?????
- This is what Celestino wanted from Yuri, though, the "I'll work hard in the Nationals." The "I'll try my best next year." And Yuri just – couldn't. Bless his heart.
- Ugh, they followed up all of that with fucking Georgi in creeper mode. I guess it's good to lighten the mood with laughter!
- "He says he hopes people will notice the new range of artistic expression in his performance." UGH. EW.
- "I'm sure you've been waiting for your prince's kiss all this time." NOPE.
- I'm sure when he's not suffering, he's lovely. But also. Right now.
- ANYA YOU ARE 100% CORRECT IN YOUR REACTION!
- Jesus, is it just Yakov? Does Yakov compare everyone to Victor and that's where they get it from? Because if Georgi's program has everything Victor's lack... I guess what he thinks Victor's missing is sincere emotion? Because I don't think Victor's public persona allows for a lot of that? I dunno.
- Victor walking Yuri through the corridors with an arm around him reassures me unaccountably, because YURI NEEDS HUGS and that will do. Especially when Yuri looks all cried out.
- "Please wake me up" NO, STOP CREEPING, YOU ARE JUST STRAIGHT UP CREEPING WHAT IS IT WITH ALL OF THE EXPLICITLY STRAIGHT SKATERS IN THIS SHOW BEING KINDA CREEPY.
- Georgi: How does it feel to watch me from where you are, Victor?!
Victor: *has not been watching, does not care*
- I am endlessly entertained by Georgi declaring nemeses and his nemeses neither knowing nor caring.
- "It's my turn to shine!"
*cuts to Yurio, who has completely forgotten to watch this madness*
*cuts to Hasetsu, where everyone is worrying about Yuri*
- "I should have asked Yakov what to do in situations like these" Oh bless him, now he realises.
- "There's a lot to work on," HARSH, BRO.
- My instinctive reaction is still "ew don't just hand Victor your tissues" but then I get distracted by Yuri being a tricksy hobbit and I love him
- Him patting Victor on the head makes me wibble just a little.
- This monologue is my favourite? We didn't get his thoughts last time he did this because we were in Victor's head being surprised, but THIS! He's so intent on his emotions and yelling at Victor internally that he can't get in his own way and fuck up the routine by panicking?
- I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels better after sobbing my heart out.
- Yuri: Victor's expression when I started to cry was priceless.
Victor: Why is he smiling?
- I think the crying just exhausted his emotions to the point that he can't freak himself out. And everyone is watching him REALLY INTENTLY.
- "Victor's too inexperienced as a coach. It's not like my mental weakness started just now. He should be prepared for this much. Stupid Victor!"
- "Oh, I made it," he thinks with mild surprise, like it's nothing! And Victor's actually cheering in the stands!
- I really like that spin, he looks good doing it!.
- He fell and didn't freak out! Be proud!
- "I wonder how Victor would react if I made the last jump a flip instead of a toe loop." *SIPPING TEA INTENSIFIES*
- You can SEE Victor visibly being disappointed and remembering he's got to believe in Yuri! (Basically Victor's reactions to this routine give me life.)
- He's not as emotional over fuck-ups as he usually is and he's not as tired as he should be for someone who hadn't slept! LOOK AT HIM BEING SO GREAT!
- "I want to become stronger. I can become stronger! I can surpass Victor's wildest imagination!"
- I love the shots of Yuri's face while he's doing it..
- HE FELL! HE FELL BUT HE RECOVERED AND EVERYONE IS LOSING THEIR MINDS BECAUSE YURI, OMG, YURI, I LOVE YOU! YOU ARE TRYING AND TRYING EVEN WHEN YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT'S GOING ON.
- "Is he crying? Is he mad? Which is it?" SPOILERS NEITHER.
- My first real exposure to Yuri On Ice: a clip on twitter containing 20:40-21:09. Literally the first thing.
- "I did great right?!" MARK THIS IN YOUR COPY BOOKS, THE FIRST TIME YURI REALISES HE'S DONE WELL!
- "This was the only thing I could think of to surprise you more than you've surprised me." I AM YELLING
- AND YURI'S LITTLE "Really?" IN RESPONSE?!
- I AM YELLING. THEY KISSED AND I AM YELLING AND AHHHHH
- (I did still go "They can walk it back from this back to queerbait, I think, but PLEASE DON'T" but this is where I started to accept that maybe my ship was canon.)
- YURI BASICALLY JUST STUCK HIS HEART ON A PLATE AND HANDED IT OVER, AND VICTOR GOES "OH, OH I UNDERSTAND NOW!" AND I THINK THIS IS THE FIRST POINT (BEARING IN MIND EPISODE TEN) WHERE THEY ARE ON THE SAME PAGE EMOTIONALLY. *punches the floor*
- "Phichit won his first gold and I kept Chris in check to win silver." I like it's specifically keeping Chris in check. :D
- "Now that Yuri can do a quadruple flip, he'll definitely win at the Rostelecom Cup" VICTOR THAT'S NOT HOW THAT WORKS YOU COCKY LITTLE SHIT <3
- Yurio: *IS SO ANGRY HE SNAPS A SPOON*
- I keep being thrown by the pacing, like "Oh, wow, he's skating against Yurio this soon?!" But I guess that's fine? The point isn't necessarily who beats who when, but Yuri's development as a person, so it makes sense! (Plus, it's not like the cup is going to resolve anything.
- NOTE THAT FUCKING DOG. THAT. DOG.
- Victor please don't say "From Russia with love" in that voice, I have been a person and I don't deserve it.