Episode five, let's do this! I need to write all of these posts before I put episodes eleven and twelve DIRECTLY INTO MY FACE.
Links: Link to watch Yuri On Ice on Crunchyroll
Lost in translation post where someone highlighted mistakes in the subs.
My reaction thread on twitter.
Dreamwidth posts: First impression, episode one, episode two, episode three, episode ten, after which I had to loop back to start and shriek loudly about episodes one to three again. Episode four.
- Oh Yuri, you're stuck in the competition with the babies! D: (The oldest not-Yuri competitor is eighteen, okay, I am old and bitter and everyone under the age of twenty-six is a baby to me now.)
- "Anything but first", so of course...
- SEE, when you don't know what's going on Minami comes across as an UNUTTERABLE LITTLE SHIT who is making fun of Yuri! And then you see him later, and it's not that he's gloating, it's that he's excited because Yuri! Is his hero! And he is so happy to be in the same room as his hero! And it is a really nice parallel to Yuri's pre-meeting relationship with Victor!
- No but seriously Minami is an adorable ball of energy and I want to squoosh him with hugs.
- Victor handling the press seems like a GOOD PLAN that could BACKFIRE HORRIBLY.
- Yuri's cold dead eyes as he reminds Victor at high-speed "in last year's Nationals, I bombed everything." And Victor's little "Wow!" in response.
- This must be NERVE-WRACKING for Yuri's if he's not competed since his last loss.
- ADORABLE TEDDY MACCACHIN, OMG. Apparently that's based of a skater who has a Winnie The Pooh? And their tough-looking coach has to be at the side of the ring, holding this Winnie The Pooh and the fans delight in it? So sayeth hardlyaverage who actually goes on tumblr and is thus more likely to have gleaned this than me, despite not being in the fandom.
- "Maccachin's cheering for you too! Try to be happier!"
- MINAMI IS SO EXCITED ABOUT BEING ON THE ICE WITH YURI
- Oh Yuri, no, don't fixate on last year, okay? (Seriously, was Celestino there for that? Or was Yuri literally doing the Nationals last year on his own?)
- VICTOR IN DISGUISE, I LOVE SUIT!VICTOR, HE LOOKS GREAT. <3
- See also the point in last post about Victor's Public Persona and his Private Persona, because I seriously do feel like Victor wears disguises to clearly mark off his roles and who he is trying to be in any particular moment (Victor the Champion Figure Skater, Victor the Coach, Victor who is a ridiculous nerd and moves into Yuri's life like it's nothing...)
- But also yes, I am with Yuri, why did he need to go home and change.
- HE IS DRESSING UP BECAUSE HE THINKS IT'S ONLY THE RIGHT THING, AND YURI IS THERE WITH HIS FACE IN HIS HANDS LIKE "YEAH, SURE..."
- Victor: *babbles*
Yuri: *blanks Victor because he's concentrating/freaking out*
Victor: *UNIMPRESSED WITH THIS NONSENSE.*
- No, seriously, the sheer degree of unimpressed everyone is with Yuri and his nerves is so great.
- HUGS, YES, THANK YOU, THE FACT THAT NO ONE HAS HUGGED YURI HAS BEEN GIVING ME FUCKING HEEBIE-JEEBIES.
- Yuri: I am totally subtle and no one knows that I'm nervous OR that I fancy Victor.
- "Seduce me with all you have. If you can charm me, you can enthrall the entire audience. That's what I always say in practice, right?" *FLAILS WILDLY*
- Victor's response to that smile at the start is consistently different and consistently my favourite part of the intro to that routine.
- The contrast between Victor yelling about food and Victor saying "Yuri, dance more like you're trying to seduce me" is giving me whiplash but also L;AIUOEFHSLKDJFddfnlsfikbvfn
- He is so intense in his internal skating monologue even when he's losing the plot and I love him. Plus, it's good to see the exact meaning of each element of the story according to him because I cannot usually parse it out myself!
- MINAMI IS SO HYPE FOR YURI'S SKATING, HE IS SO EXCITED AND I LOVE HIM
- Victor: *applies intense scolding despite it being the literal best Yuri has ever done*
- "I thought because you weren't under any pressure you'd score in the hundreds."
"Right, you've scored above a hundred points to break the world record multiple times."
1) OH MY GOD VICTOR HE IS NOT YOU, THAT IS NOT A THING MOST PEOPLE DO
2) WHO IS NOT UNDER PRESSURE BECAUSE IT SURE ISN'T YURI, HE IS A NERVOUS WRECK
3) The level of done on Yuri's face like "Oh, yeah, my coach is an absolute madman" is so great.
- "Lower the difficulty of the jumps and focus on performance" hahahaha oh Victor you're so funny, you don't know Yuri AT ALL if you think he's gonna go for that.
- Victore: *advances menacingly with a teddy*
- MINAMI I LOVE YOU AND HOW EXCITED YOU ARE! And his coach is just there like "Yes dear" and Minami wants to show Yuri his skating!
- MINAMI'S HEART IS SO BROKEN WHEN HE REALISES YURI DIDN'T SEE.
- "That's a costume from my dark past!"
"You don't have a dark past! Don't make fun of me for looking up to you for so long and trying to catch up to you!"
(Yuri looks shocked, Victor looks completely unsurprised.)
- YURI CANNOT FATHOM PEOPLE LOOKING UP TO HIM, OH MY GOD. LIKE, HE CANNOT WRAP HIS HEAD AROUND IT AT ALL.
WHO OVERIDENTIFIES WITH THAT? SURE ISN'T ME.
- (It reassures me somewhat that the people I look up to (LOOKING AT YOU renay and thebaconfat) are equally baffled, so it's not all bad? But literally any time someone complements me I go into tizzy because ARE YOU SURE OMG WHAT)
- But yes, Yuri is an inspiration, and this makes perfect sense when you remember that Yuri cannot see himself well! And I want him to just understand how much people look up to him!
- MINAMI WANTS YURI TO GIVE IT ALL HE'S GOT RIGHT AFTER VICTOR TOLD HIM TO DIAL IT DOWN, I WONDER WHO HE'S GOING TO LISTEN TO. I like how the other skaters all tie-in to Yuri's development like that.
- IT'S LIKE WATCHING A YORKIE BARKING AT A WOLFHOUND, OKAY, I CAN'T EVEN WITH HOW CUTE THAT IS.
- Ohhhhhhhh shit, Yuri's just realised that Minami crushed him next year, that's not gonna go well.
- THE KIDS ARE GOING TO TRY THEIR BEST AND DO QUADS WHETHER THEY CAN LAND THEM OR NOT, BLESS THEIR FUCKING HEARTS WHEN THEY'RE TRYING SO HARD.
- Minami: *Looks hopefully at Yuri*
- Yuri: I have to focus on myself!
Victor: How can someone who can't motivate others motivate himself?
THANK YOU FOR SAYING SOMETHING, VICTOR.
- Like, Yuri has always been shown to hate dealing with his fans because he's not comfortable with it? And is also bad at people? So this is still him being poked and prodded by the people around him into being a decent person.
- And Victor is usually really good with his fans, right? So it makes sense that he's going "Son, no." Especially as his disappointment might actually have an effect, when Minako's... Hasn't thus far, really.
- "What about my own motivation that he just destroyed?" YURI I LOVE YOU BUT YOU JUST STRAIGHT STEPPED ON A KID, OKAY, THAT WASN'T COOL.
- Minami: *cannot focus because HIS HEART HAS BEEN CRUSHED*
- Yuri realising that Minami was sincere in his feelings and rooting for him is so good, especially because the degree of VISIBLE JOY he gives Minami is so wonderful.
- I LOVE Minami's routine, it's so jazzy and cute! Even when he falls, he's so happy and cheerful, I love him. I want him to show up more! And do lots of dancing and skating and being happy! *flails because this fucking kid's routine gives me life and I love him more than at least three of the actual pros in the Grand Prix* Plus, look at his bow-tie! And his adorable waistcoat! ... If there is a spin off, I want it to be MINAMI KNOCKING EVERYONE DEAD AND BEING THE BEST SUPPORTIVE FRIEND, OKAY.
- Yuri, that was almost supportive, you're terrible at this.
- I do like Yuri's free skate outfit, even if – I completely lost my train of thought because Victor is putting vaseline on Yuri's lips and Minami is in the background losing his goddamn mind.
- Yuri is almost robotic in his degree of chill – guys, when I am too exhausted to be anxious, THAT IS WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE. He can even accept hugs from Victor without flipping out! That is an impressive level of focused, okay, he doesn't usually manage that.
- I think Minami is freaking out enough for everyone, let's be real.
- Minako and Nishigori know what's up, they know Yuri is not going to let that quad thing slide.
- Dude just said Victor choreographed that one – I thought Yuri was supposed to choreograph his free skate? Or did he pick the music and let Victor do it?
- In fact, you can TELL Yuri is focusing on what he's doing because we're getting Victor's commentary instead of Yuri's internal monologue of "fuck fuck fuck".
- Victor's face and voice when he realises that Yuri is swapping elements around without having run it past him first is SO GREAT.
- "You look too stiff! This is the part that expresses when I showed up as your coach, right? You look like you didn't like it at all!" 1) Hahahahaha, considering the last four episodes I think Victor might be willfully oblvious to Yuri freaking out. 2) Considering EPISODE FUCKING TEN I think Victor's reaction is 100% warranted and I AM DYING.
- VICTOR IS SO TENSE AND HIS FACE IS SO CALM AND HE IS CHEERING FOR YURI IN HIS HEAD AND LOOKING SO PROUD BEFORE HE REMEMBERS AND GOES BACK TO BEING IMPASSIVE AND I CANNOT DEAL WITH THIS, OH MY GOD.
- Like, his commentary is so different to Yuri's! It's more technical but also more positive? Even when he's criticising what Yuri's doing? Which is kinda nice. (Plus the moments where he has to hide his face or is just like "Yes!" and airpunching makes me happy.)
- "But that's why you can't look away!" Me the first time I saw this: I wonder if this is the moment he stopped screwing around and really started being in love with Yuri!
Me after episode ten: Hahahahahahaha I was so young then, so innocent.
- YURI, NO, ARE YOU OKAY?! THAT WAS A BAD HIT!
- Victor's fond little chuckle when he's like "I wonder who he takes after, to be so rebellious towards his coach..." because HE KNOWS. HE KNOWS.
- Oh, no, wait, he didn't! VICTOR OH MY GOD. Unless the "It's me" was directed at Yuri reaching for him, but I DOUBT THAT.
- EVERYONE IS CRYING AND YELLING FOR HIM AND I'M SO PROUD OF HIM, YES, YURI, YOU'RE GREAT! AND VICTOR IS LIKE "I WOULD NORMALLY LECTURE HIM, BUT LOOK AT THIS CROWD".
- I think that Yuri looking sheepish with blood on his face is probably the closest we get to off-ice Yuri when he's in costume.
- Victor: facepalms*
Victor: *OFFERS HUGS AND THEN RETRACTS THEM LIKE AN ASSHOLE EVEN THOUGH YURI FUCKING EARNED THAT HUG*
- Our Lady Of Retranslating points out a thing here that gives me a thousand feelings:
Using 'top skater’ here is misleading, because the subs also used 'top skater’ to refer to anyone certified as a high-level skater by the Japanese Skating Federation. What Morooka actually called Yuuri here is 「日本のエース」, Nippon no Ace. The ace among Japan’s skaters.
Japan’s ace. The ace of figure skating. Their Number One. The best they have. Their current national hero. This is what Yuuri is to Minami and his other fans. This is the level of accolades and importance that Yuuri is ignoring because he doesn’t measure up to his own standards (which is, well, Victor).
It kind of adds a level to his characterization, doesn’t it?
- I do recommend reading Our Lady Of Retranslating's commentary on the fucking backhanded complement Victor is giving Yuri here. And also the speech Yuri gives at the end of the episode on love, because I have no idea how I'm going to talk about that and it's coming up, ugh, feelings.
- "Until then, please don't quit!" GIVE ME THE FUCKING OVA WHERE MINAMI'S DREAM COMES TRUE AND HE GETS TO SKATE AGAINST YURI IN THE GRAND PRIX. DO YOU FINALLY GET IT, YURI, DO YOU FINALLY REALISE THAT WHAT VICTOR WAS TO YOU, YOU ARE TO OTHER PEOPLE?!
- Yuri has fans! And Minako is there like "It was so obvious that you took the younger skaters seriously as rivals!" because she's proud of him, rather than dragging him about him being anxious or petty or anything!
- That was the most fun Yuri'd ever had skating and I am so proud of him. ;_______;
- Yurio: *FLINGS PHONE BECAUSE FUCK YURI AND VICTOR BEING HAPPY*
- I didn't realise the first time I watched this that the credits were rolling over it! Okay, that makes sense as to where the credits sequence had gone.
- Oh god, this press conference and Yuri being Painfully Earnest and Talking About Love, uggggggggggggggggggh.. I repeat, Our Lady Of Retranslating's retranslation makes a lot of sense here.
- Yuri, where are your glasses, how far can you even see without those.
- (I've been working on the assumption that Yuri is just a bit short-sighted so he doesn't need his glasses to get around the rink, rather than him wearing contacts. DISCUSS.)
- "I've been helped by many people in my competitive skating career thus far, but I've never thought about 'love' until now. Though I was blessed with support, I couldn't take full advantage of it. I always felt like I was fighting alone." YURI KNOWS THAT THE PEOPLE AROUND HIM LOVE AND SUPPORT HIM AND HE JUST HASN'T BEEN ABLE TO DEAL WITH IT OR DO ANYTHING WITH IT AND I AM SO GLAD HE AT LEAST UNDERSTANDS THAT MUCH, OKAY.
- EVEN IF YOU DON'T READ THE POST I KEEP LINKING TO: she raises the point that what Yuri says is that his love is not as clear-cut as platonic love or romantic love, which the subs attempted to no-homo the fuck out of, (God I hope they fix that for the DVD release) even though it's really fucking important.
- "I was finally able to realise that something like love exists all around me." *punches the air because character growth! Fuck yeah! And also the reporter's face is amazing*
- MATE ARE YOU PUBLICLY DECLARING YOUR LOVE FOR VICTOR ON LIVE FUCKING TELEVISION BECAUSE OH MY GOD YURI YOU DO NOT DO SHIT BY HALVES, DO YOU?!
- "Now that I know what love is and am stronger for it, I'll prove it to myself with a Grand Prix Final gold medal!" I LOVE YOU YOU MELODRAMATIC LITTLE SHIT, YOU ARE A BEAUTIFUL SUNBEAM AND I HOPE TO GOD YOU GET YOUR MEDAL!
- "So we... Were abstract... After all this time we've supported him..." says Yuri's friends who have supported him since he was four, while Victor sits there in the foreground cuddling his dog and looking utterly bewildered. (HOW MUCH OF THAT SPEECH DID HE GET IN REAL TIME, OKAY, AND HOW MUCH DID HE HAVE TO GET OFF THE YOUTUBE SUBTITLES LATER.)
- VICTOR'S ONLY COMMENT IS THAT HE WANTS TO BURN YURI'S TIE, OH MY FUCKING GOD VICTOR.
- I want everyone to win, okay, everyone is so charming, and I love that Phichit is internet and promo-savvy enough to be like "ALL OF THE COOL THINGS I DO NEED TO GO ONLINE." Whether it's for mercenary reasons or not (I assume not), it delights me! Especially because Celestino is bad at this! GO FORTH AND TAKE ALL OF THE PHOTOS, MY INSTAGRAM SUNSHINE.