OKAY LET'S DO THIS. Dearly beloved, we are here so that I can actually get through all of Daredevil, it might not take. It didn't take last time I tried it? I think I remember episode... Eight? Fisk is a thing, he is hardcore creeping on an artist? And Karen is great except that she was SUPER RUDE to Foggy who appeared to be a delight. But this time, I have a strong backing of fluffy shipper fic to support me instead of Lex and my housemate, Mike, who are FINE to watch TV with but also don't do the shipping thing so it's a waste of time watching with them. Let's rock.
In conclusion: MATT MURDOCK GET YE A HEALING FACTOR.
- There are so many people hurt in that accident, so many people! I hope everyone else got out okay and no one else ended up with weird superpowers - no, wait, wasn't this the accident that gave Jessica Jones her superpowers in comics canon?
- I wonder what would have happened if someone had tried to wash that gunk out of Matt's eyes at the time. Like, would he have still gone blind but not got superpowers? Would he have not gone blind at all?
- BABY MATTY IS A HERO. ;_____;
- "It's been... Too long since my last confession." NICE COVER THERE, MATT. NICE. COVER.
- Oh yes, I forgot that Matt's actor was hot. Fuck. (There used to be a MASSIVE BILBOARD near the house I lived in... 2012-14, and the month or so where it was just a giant poster of this guy in a nice suit with bloodied knuckles? GOOD TIME.)
- "Nights when he was outmatched, my dad's strategy was to let 'em hit him till they broke their hands." Murdocks, jesus. He's SO PROUD, so FOND. I cannot DEAL with this.
- "My grandmother, she was the real Catholic. Fear of god ran deep, you'd have liked her." ... I now have to tweet readingtheend as my only Catholic friend to be like "He just sassed a priest in confession, can you do that?! Are you allowed to snark at priests while they're shut in a box with you?! Do you get extra Hail Marys for that?" (HAVE CHECKED Jenny says that your priest SHOULDN'T give you extra Hail Marys but I am sceptical.)
- "She used to say 'Be careful of the Murdock boys, they've got the devil in 'em." I think we found our theme for the series! Good to know!
- "His eyes'd go dead and he'd start walking forward real slow, hands at his side like he wasn't afraid of anything." This is a character trope I have played and loved, ngl.
- Matt, Matty are you crying? Are you okay? ;___________;
- Son, are you confessing or looking for therapy.
- THAT IS REALLY REALLY NOT HOW CONFESSION WORKS MATT.
- DON'T PUNCH A PRIEST MATT - oh, it's the obligatory "look, sex slavery!" thing that is how you establish your characters credentials in most grimdark action things, I thought Matt was gonna slap up a priest.
- Ohhhhh the fight scenes. ♥
- Matt, I think you just drowned a dude. And then therapeutically broke some other guy's face. But hey, look, he's a good guy who doesn't give a shit about the people he's rescuing! I have definitely never seen this trope before.
- ... Did you steal your opening credits from Hannibal?
- I didn't know phones could be set to tell you out loud who was phoning! That's really useful! (Unless it's literally just a ringtone, but I imagine that'd be effort.)
- FOGGY! Hello sunshine! <3
- "What time is it?"
"Half past get the hell up."
- Hel-LO. *pauses reaction shot in respect to Those Abs*
- *FACECLUTCHES OVER MATT AND FOGGY BEING FRIENDS AND MILDLY TERRIBLE PEOPLE*
- "I've gotta go bribe a cop. Kidding, NSA! But seriously, gotta go bribe a cop." THIS IS WHY THIS SHOW WOULD BE SO MUCH MORE FUN IF FOGGY WAS THE POV CHARACTER.
- Foggy's SO CUTE. He's been enemies with a police officer since they were four! He describes himself a not particularly good attorney! He is bribing a cop with gifts for his mum!
- "Please stop giving my mama cigars, Foggy."
"Come on, she'll outlive us all."
- "He can have the view." *AWKWARD BACKPEDALLING ENSUES*
- Foggy's face when Matt manages to be the most awkward charmer.
- "The incident? Is that what we're calling it now?"
"Well, it sounds so much better than 'death and destruction raining from the sky and nearly wiping Hell's Kitchen off the map."
- Man, I bet the attack on New York was GREAT for the gentrification movement. "While we're repairing buildings, we'll just make them nicer! And because they're nicer, we'll have to just price the current occupants right outta there, byebye." ... This is how I understand all housing in New York to work.
- MAYBE DON'T HAVE THE ARGUMENT ABOUT YOUR CLIENTELE POLICY WITH THE ESTATE AGENT SHE IS LITERALLY NOT PAID FOR THAT. She's got the correct face for it.
- MATT, PLEASE STOP FLIRTING.
- KAREN, KAREN HONEY, KAREN IT'LL BE OKAY. ;_________;
- Brett stepping up to save the day!
- Also I like how Foggy manages to scold people AND feed info to Matt in one sentence. Good job Foggy.
- I like how Matt is lead face character.
- I like how NO ONE wants Bess to smoke except Bess and Foggy.
- "How long have you been practicing law?"
"What time is it?"
"... About seven hours."
- Matt using Foggy to take notes makes me happy.
- Oh Karen, I love you. You'll be okay! It'll be okay! Please don't cry! *clutches*
- It's the guy who looks like he escaped from DRAMAtical Murder! It's a VERY nice suit. And I actually quite like that tie.
- This is quite an intense blackmail sequence, respect to DMMd guy for being an utter shit.
- "You don't exactly show the best judgement when beautiful women are involved."
"How would I even know if she's beautiful?"
"I don't know, it's kinda spooky actually."
- Okay, Foggy and Matt in a noir story, GIMME. (Q: Susan, isn't this kinda a noir story — A: NOT NOIR ENOUGH.)
- NO, GET OFF HER, GET THE FUCK OFF HER! ;____________;
- The worst part is, Matt's not even wrong? White blonde girl at the centre of a tragedy? That shit would be eaten up in no time.
- "I'll agree not to make cooing noises for the rest of this meeting when I think of the civil suit that we have on our hands." WHICH ONE OF YOU IS THE GOOD COP AND WHICH IS THE BAD COP?!
- I JUST WANT THE ENTIRE SHOW TO BE NOTHING BUT FOGGY AND MATT LAWYERING PEOPLE IN THE FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE *wails, rends clothing* Look how cool this is! Especially because Matt BLATANTLY KNOWS what everyone is whispering!
- Threatening a lawyer? REALLY?!
- Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaah we could have had such a good lawyers-solving-crime shoooooooooow *rolls on floor in despair*
- KAREN YOUR FLAT IS A CRIME SCENE YOU CAN'T STAY THERE.
- Ooooof, those marks don't look good. But like, respect for remembering to put those there!
- I'm pretty sure that this is the EXACT PLOT of The Chase. But fewer lesbians.
- See, it sounds like paranoia when she says that, and yet it is entirely plausible.
- Oh Karen, honey no. It's not your fault! It's really not!
- Thank you Foggy for giving her a hug, the fact that she wasn't being hugged was making me physically twitchy.
- Nooooo why is Foggy not there too. Matt blatantly needs a chaperone!
- I cannot deal with Matt talking about his flat like a normal person instead of a crazy vigilante, it breaks my heart and makes me want to smish him all at once. (Especially because it's "what I've been told about my living room" aaaaah Matt.)
- (WAS IT FOGGY, WAS FOGGY NARRATING HOW TERRIBLE THE BILLBOARD IS AT SOME POINT?!)
- (... PLEASE TELL ME THE FANART OF TOPH AND MATT HANGING OUT MAKING JOKES AT SIGHTED PEOPLE'S EXPENSE ALREADY EXISTS AND ALL Y'ALL HAVE LINKS.)
- KAREN DON'T JUST TAKE YOUR SHIRT OFF IN FRONT OF A DUDE THAT'S RUDE EVEN IF HE CAN'T SEE IT.
- "Can I ask a personal question?"
"I haven't always been blind."
"I guess that's what everyone wants to know."
"That or 'how do you comb your hair?'"
- SHE LOOKS REALLY PRECIOUS IN THAT SHIRT.
- Karen, you are being REALLY FUCKING RUDE, SIT THE FUCK DOWN.
- I wonder if they had to put markers so the actor could keep his eyes off the person he's talking to.
- I like how Matt's up front with "Why didn't they kill you?"
- It must be really weird to know exactly when someone's lying to you.
- LELAND! Last time I saw you, you were a prison warden!
- Man, it's not bad enough that you're a mob boss, you're a RACIST mob boss. *sighs*
- !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THAT IS GIDEON EMERY!!! *FLAILS WILDLY*
- Q: Susan, is your thirst really so real that you can recognise the dude's voice when he's putting on a Russian accent?!
A: APPARENTLY SO. There's something about the low notes of his voice that sticks with me.
- Someone remind me to google whether someone has translated Madame Gao's lines...
- I like how everyone at least looks at Madame Gao when they're answering her questions.
- DMMd guy is so chill. The chillest.
- KAREN THIS IS LITERALLY HOW YOU GET DEAD STOP THAT.
- On the plus side, Matt is a super hero so MAYBE YOU WON'T.
- That hoodie looks so soft and comfy, which is a ridiculous thing to be thinking but I am invested in Matt's wardrobe.
- SERIOUSLY YOU ARE GOING TO DIE FOR A USB STICK KAREN.
- Hey look, it's murder dude from earlier!
- Matt you just got sliced and you didn't even care! YOU DON'T HAVE A HEALING FACTOR DARLING PLEASE STOP THAT
- Matt walking along the wall to fuck a guy up is great.
- NO MATTY YOU DON'T HAVE THE REGEN TO TANK THAT FALL FUCKING STOP THAT.
- THESE FIGHT SCENES THOUGH. Like, good fight scenes will get you a long way with me (See also: the entire Raid franchise.), so I am willing to forgive it a lot for the flips and knifework. Plus, this is a lot closer to the style of The Raid where everything is a lot more brutal. (I REALLY like the fights in the Raid and the Raid 2, I'm not gonna lie.)
- Karen looks so honestly delighted that she's not dead!
- DO YOU REALLY NOT RECOGNISE MATT'S VOICE?!
- "They may be of use" I am so not okay with the idea of Kingpin manipulating Foggy and Matt into his bidding, nooooo.
- KAREN DO NOT WIFE THESE MEN THAT IS NOT SAFE.
- Nelson, Murdock and Page: the adorable law firm/found family of my heart! *faceclutch*
- NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO THIS IS NOT THE FOLLOW-UP I WANTED TO AN ADORABLE SCENE OF THE FAMILY STOP THAT. WHY IS EVERYONE DEAD.
- Oh, I swear someone mentioned that something is REALLY FUCKED UP about Madame Gao's operation and its use of blind people, did I miss that or has it been explained?
- I think Matt punching that bag might be the equivalent of Arrow's dude doing the salmon ladder.
- Nooooooooo Gideon Emery why are you kidnapping a small child? I mean, I know it's to trigger Matt's issues in the next episode, but seriously.
In conclusion: MATT MURDOCK GET YE A HEALING FACTOR.