- spindizzy: Here! I don't know how you're reading this if you don't know that, but let's start with the basics. ;) This is my spottily updated journal, mostly real-life blather with occasional dips into fandom.
- spindilly: My twitter account. I make no promises regarding this except that there will be a lot of caplock, foul language, and occasional frothing.
- spindizzily: My tumblr. Mostly runs off queue, so activity there does not necessarily mean that I am online. Almost entirely fandom reblogs, please leave a comment or send me an Ask if you need me to tag a specific fandom or warning for you so that you can blacklist it.
- spindizzy: My fanfic archive. Includes a lot of old and embarrassing nonsense; for examples of what I consider my best or most representative fanfic, please check out this collection.
I WOULD LIKE YOU GUYS TO LEAVE ME PROMPTS, IF THAT'S OKAY. Any fandom you think I'm into or would like, any/no pairings, as many comments/prompts as you'd like. I just... Want to make a repository of things for me to write in the future that's a bit less intimidating than going through the ff_exchange backlist. Like, I won't promise that I'll get to everything, but I really like the idea of having a fixed place to look for inspiration?
THIS FEELS WEIRD.
I DON'T KNOW WHAT I'M DOING.
THIS FEELS LIKE BEING A BIKER AT A FAIRY TEA PARTY EXCEPT THAT'S AN AWESOME IMAGE AND I WANT A LEATHER JACKET WITH FAIRY WINGS STENCILED ON THE BACK NOW.
I thought I was faking confidence well enough, but one of the ladies at work who saw me before I went in was like "You were shaking like a leaf when you went in!" and one of the interviewers specifically checked on me after my interview, because I was working a shift at L3 after my interview. *lies on floor* Apparently she just wanted to pat my hands during the interview and tell me it would be okay! orz
THE UPSIDE OF ALL OF THIS is that apparently very few library assistants ever make it to interview for assistant in charge roles (either because they don't apply for them or they don't get short listed) so I can take a lot of pride in getting as far as I did. ;_______________;
But yes, some of the questions were really... Specific? I'm used to kinda generic plug-and-play interviews, but this one had specific questions about L3. Like "We have a lot of older established team members who've been here for decades and some newer members of staff, how would you encourage them to work together" and I'm there like "Mate, this is about the fact that you have fucking factions in this library, isn't it? Because you totally fucking have factions in this library who HATE EACH OTHER and one of them will gossip very loudly and angrily in front of the customers and protip the first thing I would do is nip that shit in the bud." But I was really bad at treating this as a hypothetical and they could apparently see me trying to be circumspect about the backbiting and infighting I'd seen here, so they had to specifically go "It's okay, Susan, everything you say here is confidential" before I could relax and actually answer the question.
Actually, no, ON THE UPSIDE: the backbiting and infighting is not my problem! FUCKING MARVELLOUS! \o/
Me after episode nine: Oh wow, literally everyone I know who is watching this show is telling me to avoid spoilers for episode ten. Maybe I should borrow Lex's Crunchyroll account and watch it now!
Me: *does that*
Me: OH MY GOD WHAT THE FUCK HAVE I JUST PUT IN MY EYES ALSO OMG MY SHIP ALSO THIS HAS LITERALLY TURNED EVERYTHING THAT HAPPENED UP TILL NOW ON ITS HEAD AND NOW I NEED TO REACT TO EPISODE TEN OUT OF ORDER BECAUSE EVERYTHING ABOUT EVERYONE'S MOTIVATION MAKES SO MUCH MORE SENSE NOW THAT I HAVE SEEN THIS FUCKING EPISODE.
Me: *flips table*
Me: *continues to scream in thebaconfat's general direction because oh my god I can't even deal with this.
Oh, and because I apparently forgot to mention this: Yuri on Ice! Free and legal to stream online in subtitled form! It's on Crunchyroll, I don't know which licensing areas it covers but I can get it in the UK and I know some people are watching it that way in the US, apart from that I'm... Not sure I can help, sorry loves.
Previous yelling: episode one, episode two.
( Read more... )
ETA: NO. FRIEND HUMANS. I HAVE REMEMBERED WHAT IS IN EPISODE FOUR AND OH MY GOD HOW DID I FORGET THAT FOR EVEN A SECOND, OKAY, THIS IS GOING TO REQUIRE SO MUCH CAPSLOCK.
(No lie, I was mostly asleep this morning and then remembered that I had bagels in the fridge so hard that I woke up! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯)
I AM AN ADULT, THERE IS NOTHING TO SEE HERE. *adjusts fake moustache and runs away*
Initial reaction shot is here, the twitter thread with my yelling in real-time is here. I might also refer to some stuff from this post about mistranslation in the Crunchyroll subs, because it is a nice resource and also if it's accurate the subs are somehow still LESS GAY than the original.
( Read more... )
- I didn't get the job I interviewed for on Monday, WHICH IS FINE. I can always apply for other things! It will be fine! It was good interview experience! I have another one on Thursday for the job I'm not sure I want (managing a bunch of backbiters SUPER FAR AWAY, but also the shift pattern is SO GOOD), so we'll see how that goes. Either way, I'm probably going to have to actually officially start job hunting come the new year, because I spoke to my manager and a) she doesn't know if contracts are going to be renewed next year, and b) even they are, they're only being renewed till June to see who wins the election and how that affects our budgets. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I was SO GOOD and didn't pointedly mention to the two confirmed Brexit voters (one of whom was the manager in question) that if they hadn't voted Brexit maybe we'd all be more likely to keep our fucking jobs. (... Mainly because I think I'm the only one at the library who has NO permanent hours so I'm the main one this affects. Or at least I'm the only one with "(Temp)" after my name on the timetable.)
- I got my ears pierced yesterday! I meant to do it on Monday after my job interview, but the place I was going to go is apparently closed on Mondays. Ended up going to a place in town that captainraz likes, but when I told her that they used a piercing gun not needles (IDK) she was really disappointed in them. IT IS FINE, I was in for maybe five minutes, and now I have bits of metal in my ear that I keep wanting to poke! And I have to clean them with a saline solution twice a day instead of doing that, gaaaaaaah. But, on the plus side, I have dived FACE FIRST into Etsy and there are so many cute things. Current plans:
- Acquire an N7 hoodie and a pair of earrings with the Paragon and Renegade symbols on, become the Commander Shepard I want to see in the world.
- Acquire enough earrings that I can wear a different pair every day for a month with no hesitation or repetition. #earringpocalypse (Thank you splend!)
- Avengers Academy is on a break from events and this is SO GREAT, I am actually enjoying playing it for the first time since... Halloween? Maybe? And I have finally got a chance to get the Hulk! (... But seriously, where did all of this "Every male character except Union Jack wants to date either Black Widow or Wasp, no exceptions" thing come from and can it go back into its hole now?)
- I'm sure there was something I wanted to chat about but I can't remember what it is. I have an exam on Tuesday that I've not practiced for enough? ... Did I tell you all that I'm studying sign language? Um, if not... Hi! I'm studying sign language! I'm really bad at it because I can't take notes! I have an exam tomorrow and it's LITERALLY a two minute conversation, but I am TERRIFIED. I will hopefully be fine! Maybe! I am confident in my ability to make most of the signs I need, but I am not as confident in my ability to read all the signs I need, if that makes sense? Like how I can fingerspell fine, but reading fingerspelling is my greatest fucking weakness.
- Jungle – Jamie N Commons and X Ambassadors (In related news from like last year: the Hercules movie with the Rock in it is the BEST Hercules movie, and I have fought people over this.)
- Glitter and Gold – Barns Courtney. (That version is the actual version; I kinda prefer this faster edit, and there is a fun Avengers vid and super atmospheric and spoilery Hannibal vid to it. The vids do really good jobs with matching up sound-effects and dialogue to the song! I like them!)
- The Bullpen – Dessa (IT'S BEEN THE KINDA WEEK THAT REQUIRES THIS LEVEL OF SWAGGER.)
- Taking You Down – Egypt Central (Chris, who occasionally lurks on my social media but has no accounts himself WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU CHRIS, has designated this as the mood he's hit going into the final boss in our Scion game. We are so done, guys. SO done.)
- Icarus – Jason Webley (This is my default song for writing Avengers Academy!Tony Stark and I could not tell you WHY that's my default song, but it IS.)
- Take Me To Church – Neon Jungle
- The Digi-Rap (sithe got the Digimon: Cyber Sleuths game, which looks fun? But also it has given me A Craving for old school digimon.)
Vaguely related to Hannibal (trust me, we'll get there), so there was a Playstation event this weekend, and new trailers have dropped! I'm not looking into things because SPOILERS, but apparently there's going to be a new The Last Of Us game (I will play The Last Of Us, I promise!), and a new Uncharted game STARRING CHLOE! I AM SO STOKED, CHLOE IS SO GREAT. Apparently the whole game is an opposites-attract thing where she teams up with someone called Nadine (I haven't played Uncharted 4 yet, I assume she's from that?) and they commit crime. I am excited! :D :D :D And there's going to be a new DanganRonpa game, which might be relevant to rionaleonhart's interests?
( Read more... )
I am writing fic on paper like a twat but also photobucket is the worst. WORST. So twitter, here's what my drafts look like. pic.twitter.com/VZpzoyY54A— Susan (@Spindilly) December 3, 2016
1) I start a thing! Good job me!
2) It is late in the day when I start the thing, bad choice me. I get a good chunk of the way into the thing, and then I decide to Go To Sleep. Good job me!
OPTIONAL STEP 2A) I go back to work on the thing! Yay! Good job me! And then I decide to Go To Sleep because it is always late in the day when I start writing things! Questionable choices, me!
3) I want to work on the thing, but it is late in the day and I am too tired to do this draft the justice it deserves, so I go back to step 1 and this cycle starts again.
This has a very simple solution, which is "Don't wait until arse o'clock to start writing," but also if I have time during the day to write I try to prioritise ladybusiness stuff because that is more important. Basically, my problem is, as always, time management and motivation, who knew.
BUT, THINGS I HAVE FOUND WHILE MAKING THE SPREADSHEET THAT INFORMED ME THAT I HAVE 103 WIPS:
- I have a file just labelled "Steve and Tony and naps" and this was not the adorable cuddle pile that I was hoping for.
- (Having a consistent file-naming scheme is THE BEST PLAN EVER and I wholeheartedly endorse it. Mine is super simple! It's either "Fic - [Fandom] - ["Helpful" description of contents]" or "LB - [Type of post] - [Title of whatever I'm talking about]" IT IS REALLY HELPFUL.)
- I still have a Ronan/Gansey fic in progress because "sex like war on the hood of the Pig" is the best description I have ever written.
- I am 100% here for "My brother is an assassin/mercenary on the run from his former organisation and I am smarter than him and not here for his protective nonsense" just going by the fact that there are MULTIPLE FICS with this trope on my list. Any recs?
- AvAc!Loki being bad at people is my favourite thing to write about.
- (I AM DISTRESSINGLY INTO LOKI/UNION JACK WHERE UNION JACK IS GOING INTO THIS WITH HIS EYES OPEN AND LOKI HAS NO IDEA WHAT HE'S GETTING INTO. HELP.)
- WHY IS ALL OF THIS MADOKA MAGICA DISTRESSING AND SAD. WHY CAN HOMURA NOT JUST HAVE NICE THINGS.)
- (I have so much Final Fantasy fic in all of renay's pairings, guys, you don't even know how much, or rather you do, the answer is nine, ten depending on how she feels about Paine/Rikku. *cracks knuckles*)
- "I don't write that many crossovers," I tell myself, completely ignoring the fact that I will cross any fandom into Shadowrun if you leave me alone long enough and also my preferred form of "Everybody lives" AU is "They wouldn't die even if you killed them" which means Baccano crossover. Also ignoring the One Piece/Madoka Magica crossover because I STILL don't know what happened there.
- I apparently have plans for a visual novel just labelled "Timetravelling lesbians vs serial killers". THOUGHT YOU OUGHT TO KNOW.
- How recursive is it to write in-universe fanfic for one of the shows in Skip Beat? Asking for a friend.
- I am a terrible person who doesn't want Nathan Drake to have a nice day, just going by this list. BLESS HIS HEART.
The more I play it, the more I am convinced that I could crib the plot beats and tone for SOMETHING. Maybe not MCU that would be too obvious,1 but I feel like The Losers would work quite well for "We went in to clean up a mess under orders and now this village is full of zombies with tentacles, who brought grenades?" Or Uncharted would work really well for the "I was just hear for shiny artifacts but they're cursed and everything's exploding and oh GREAT there are zombies, why is it always zombies?" MAYBE IT WOULD WORK FOR OTHER FANDOMS, I am currently in the stage of mentally holding the dress up against people and trying to work out if it would fit.
1: I am NOT KIDDING about how much Moxy looks like Peggy, I am awed that they got away with it.
I am trying to remember that IT IS FINE and even if I don't get it, I've not LOST anything, but I'm pretty sure that this job interview I've got the week after for the job I'm not sure I want is giving me anxiety reverbs about THIS job interview.
ETA: OH GOD IT IS A PERMANENT CONTRACT, I NEED TO SMASH THIS INTERVIEW INTO PIECES AND KEEP THIS JOB.
- Something I Can Never Have – Vintage String Quartet
- Shine My Shoes – Robbie Williams (ON THE TOPIC OF ELECTRO-SWING, which we got to in the comments of my last music post, THIS SONG. I kinda love it, and for some reason I'm convinced it's lionschmion's theme song.)
- Get This Party Started – Shirley Bassey (I am so aggrieved that it took me this long to hear this version because it is THE BEST OF ALL POSSIBLE VERSIONS.)
- #ham4bey (Friend humans, there is a mash-up medley of act one Hamilton and Beyoncé's songs. I'M JUST SAYING.)
- Come With Me Now – Kongos (This is another one on my not-a-playlist for Magnificent Seven >_> )
- History Maker by Dean Fujioka (The opening song for Yuri on Ice! That link takes you to the opening, with the awesome choreography! This is the full version but it sounds like someone was recording it underwater.)
- Yuri on Ice (SPEAKING OF, OMG.)
YURI IS AN ANXIOUS SNOWFLAKE WHO HAS SOMEHOW ENDED UP WITH THE PERSON HE ADMIRES MOST IN THE ENTIRE WORLD AND AS AN ANXIOUS SNOWFLAKE WHO HAS SOMEHOW ENDED UP FRIENDS WITH A BUNCH OF PEOPLE WHO A) I GENUINELY AND EARNESTLY ADMIRED AS CREATORS BEFORE I WAS FRIENDS WITH THEM, B) APPEAR TO LIKE ME TOO I KNOW THIS FEELING AND I AM SO INVESTED IN HIM DOING WELL.
... He just wants Victor to believe in him more than he believes in himself and I am so fucked.
I will probably end up talking about this more, but I needed to vent to clear my head so I could write and sleep without shaking Lex and going "PLEASE LET ME YELL ABOUT QUEERBAIT ON SKATES AT YOU."
(Apparently the next episode has a Canadian skater based off this douchebro fuckboy and I am so salty about how much I am intrigued by this. PS Chris please stop talking about how much you're going to come from your own routine that's just WEIRD.)
First up: sountrack!
- Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap by Lounge Kittens
- Hollaback Girl by Postmodern Jukebox (It's a swing cover of the Gwen Stefani song and I kinda love it.)
- If you watched Shelter (IT'S REALLY GOOD), the music is SUPER GREAT and I am here for all of the covers? The ones I've enjoyed most so far are this piano cover and this sorta orchestral one, which I was kinda ambivalent about until about a minute in when the percussion kicks in.
- Wolf Like Me by Lera Lynn (Shout out to scarimonious for her excellent music taste!)
- Where The Devil Don't Go by Elle King (Off the Lucifer soundtrack, again, hat tip to scarimonious.)
- Back to the Way I Was by Emily Bell (Ditto.)
- Wake Me Up by 2Cellos
SECOND of all: HI! ( Shenanigans behind the cut! )
The short, non-spoilery reaction is that I really enjoyed it! Holy crap, guys, its a western where no one gets raped (Q: Is that particularly common? A: The Magnificent Seven is the third or fourth wyouestern I've seen this year and the first one where no one gets raped.), and there are multiple named POC who make it to the end of the movie! IT'S LIKE FUCKING MAGIC, GUYS, IT'S LIKE A GENRE I LIKE FINALLY DECIDED TO LIKE ME BACK. *rolls in it* Ignore the fact that I am mainly here for Byung-Hun Lee being ludicrously pretty and stabbing people, okay? That's probably safest.
( Read more... )
SERIOUSLY NO ONE ASK ME HOW MANY TIME I SAW THIS MOVIE OR HOW LONG I SPENT ON THIS POST. YOU WILL NOT LIKE THE ANSWER.